Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bogg, 2 April 1870

We've moved into the 1870s with this letter, four months after the last surviving letter. And we've also changed addressees--this letter was not sent to Pennsylvania originally, but to James Bryden in Ayrshire (a much later photo at left). He's planning a trip to Dunmore, and will take along a parcel from the folks at the Bogg. Because this letter ended up among the other letters sent to the Glencrosses in Dunmore, you can assume he got there, eventually... but that's a story that will unfold in the next few years' worth of letters.

There are some logistical discussions in this brief letter about how objects to carry would be packed. And there's Marion saying she'd go to America cheerfully if Aunt would, and that she might even be accompanying the next parcel herself. She's feeling better, but she still can't walk--she is able to sit up and wear her ordinary clothes for a few hours at a stretch, though.

"The Bogg" April 2nd, 1870

My Dear Friend

You will be thinking we are long in sending down the parcle to you but Aunt intended to be down with it herself to see you all but she has been so bad with a sore back that she will not can come she is a little better today but not very good at walking. I hope this will find you all in good health and I wish you all good health and a good journey and may God guide and and protect you. and if we have our Heavenly Fathers protection nothing can come against us

uncle John sent us word that we were not to put the things up in a parcle but just to let you lay them in you chest as if they were your own and if you are all spared and well to be there and see him you can tell him if I could have walked I would have gone to America with you for I have a great notion to be in America I could go as cheerfully as could be if I had Aunt with me.

I am very glad to be able to tell you that I am a great deal better I was up and had on my clothese two hours yesterday, tell uncle John and Marion to send me word how they are pleased with their stockings and if they like them perhaps I will soon get another chance to send another pair if I don't go with them myself. I would like very well if you could come up before you go away but your time will be all taken up for you will have a great deal to do. if you cannot come up Aunt will try and be down to see you before you go away. now I will say goodbye with Kind love to you all and may God be your guide is the desire of your affectionate friend Marion Brown

These are two cards for uncle. Robert Wylie is a cousin of his and I thought he might like to see a peice of old Sanquhar so I sent that card.

No comments: